Tottenham is a community in the town of New Tecumseth, in south-central Ontario and was incorporated in 1884, however records indicate that there were settlements there in the early 1800’s. The name Tottenham, could have come from two different places. The first is believed to have come from the Tottens, a pioneer family. The other is from a man named Halladay who was the first postmaster and named the village after Tottenham Court Road in England around 1850.
In 1877 a railroad company called Hamilton and North-Western built a railway through Tottenham which increased the population to 700 where it stayed for several years. By 1884, there were quite a few industries such as a foundry, and the Coleman Fare-Box Company which supplied fare-boxes to street railways in all parts of the world.
In 1895 a disastrous fire destroyed a large portion of Tottenham’s business section with over 90 buildings falling victim to the flames, however, in a very short time this section was rebuilt. Despite warnings in 1884 that the town needed a fire engine, none was purchased. To combat the 1895 fire, the town of Allandale sent its fire engine, preventing further spread of the fire. The first bank was owned by a man named Mr. Drew. Banking was tried on various occasions but they found it did not pay and were forced to close; one of these being a branch of the Bank of Hamilton.
The Tottenham Conservation Area is a recreational facility in the village, which is also famous for its annual event, the Tottenham Bluegrass Festival. There is also a restored steam train that is a tourist attraction, taking passengers to Beeton and back.
Public Elementary Institutions:
- Tottenham Public School
- Tecumseth South Central Public School
Catholic Elementary Institutions:
- Father F.X. O’Reilly School
- St. James School
Catholic Secondary Institutions:
- St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.